New England college student has legs amputated after eating leftover noodles

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

The strange case of a New England college student who had both his legs amputated after eating leftovers is getting renewed attention thanks to a viral video. 

The 19-year-old man in question was admitted to the pediatric intensive care unit (PICU) of Massachusetts General Hospital as a result of «shock, multiple organ failure, and rash,» according to a March 2021 edition of the New England Journal of Medicine. 

A screenshot of the YouTube video: "A student suspicious leftovers for lunch. This is what happened to his limbs"

A screenshot of the YouTube video: «A student suspicious leftovers for lunch. This is what happened to his limbs»
(YouTube: Dr Bernard / Chubbyemu)

The YouTube channel «Chubbyemu,» run by Dr. Bernard Hsu, a licensed toxicologist, posted a video of the case on Feb. 16. It’s since been viewed nearly 1 million times. 

The 19-year-old man, identified in the YouTube video as «JC,» had started feeling abdominal pain and nausea after eating rice, chicken, and lo mein leftovers from a restaurant meal. 

GEORGIA ‘BODY’ DISCOVERED IN FOREST TURNS OUT TO BE LIFE-SIZED DOLL, SHERIFF’S DEPARTMENT SAYS

He began vomiting and experienced chills, generalized weakness, chest pain, shortness of breath, neck stiffness, and blurry vision, according to the journal. A few hours before his admission, his skin developed a purplish discoloration. 

An intensive care unit. 

An intensive care unit. 
(iStock)

A friend with whom he had been staying took him to an emergency room where he was then flown by helicopter to a hospital. The friend said he had eaten the same meal and vomited but did not become progressively ill. 

The man’s temperature peaked 105 degrees and his rate was at 166 beats per minute. His breathing reportedly worsened after being admitted to the hospital and was given oxygen. 

FLORIDA WALMART SHOPPERS THROWS ‘HISSY FIT’ AFTER BEING CONFRONTED OVER ALLEGED SHOPLIFTING

Blood and urine tests indicated the man had Neisseria meningitidis. According to Dr. Bernard, «when bacteria are present in the blood, the entire body’s blood vessels dilate, dropping the blood pressure preventing oxygen from getting to the organs.» 

The entrance to Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston. 

The entrance to Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston. 
(Google Maps)

The man had a «prolonged hospital course» with many complications that included necrosis of the arms and legs and gangrene, leading to the amputation of parts of all 10 fingers and below his knees. 

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Doctors later learned that he did not have a booster shot of the meningococcal conjugate vaccine when he was 16. Despite the amputations, doctors said he has had a «relatively good recovery.» 


Source link

Acerca coronadmin

Comprobar también

Un juez dictamina que Walgreens contribuyó a la crisis de los opioides en San Francisco al surtir una avalancha de recetas dudosas

SAN FRANCISCO – Un juez federal falló el miércoles contra Walgreens en una demanda de …

Deja una respuesta

Tu dirección de correo electrónico no será publicada.