EU job-seeking aid worth for dismissed workers in Greece and France • The European Times News

EU job-seeking aid worth €1.5 million for dismissed workers in Greece and €17.7 million for 1 580 dismissed Air France workers

EU job-seeking aid for Greece

Workers made redundant in six companies producing household appliances in Attica, Greece, should receive €1.5 million in EU aid.

On Tuesday, the Committee on Budgets approved Greece’s request for funding from the European Globalisation Adjustment Fund for Displaced Workers (EGF). In their decision, MEPs acknowledge that “expenditure for new household appliances in Greece was strongly impacted first by the economic crisis from 2008 to 2016 and second by the COVID-19 pandemic”.

Reasons for the dismissals include domestic supply shortages of electrical components, high productions costs, difficulties in adapting to the digitalisation and automation of production processes.

The support for the dismissed workers will include advisory services and individual job-seeking assistance, training in digital skills, and tailored vocational training, leading to a certification, where possible, or support in securing higher education qualifications. Participants can also receive advice on how to start their own business coupled with a start-up grant of up to €22,000.

The total estimated cost of these measures is about €1.8 million, of which the EGF will cover 85% (€1.5 million). The Public Investment Programme of the Greek Ministry of Economy and Development will finance the remaining 15%.

The draft report by rapporteur Bogdan Rzońca (ECR, PL) recommending that Parliament approve the aid was passed by 29 votes, 1 against and no abstentions. The vote in plenary will take place on 23 June in Brussels.

EU job-seeking aid for France

1 580 workers from Air France and two of its subsidiaries in 16 regions in France, who lost their jobs because of the COVID-19 pandemic, should receive €17.7 million in EU aid.

On Tuesday, the Committee on Budgets approved France’s request for support from the European Globalisation Adjustment Fund for Displaced Workers (EGF). MEPs acknowledge that “Air France was severely impacted by the COVID-19 crisis, which caused a sharp decline in income and traffic”. The region Île-de-France (57% of the layoffs) has been most affected.

The support provided to the dismissed workers includes advisory services, career guidance, job search assistance and the possibility to learn new skills through tailored vocational training. Participants can also receive advice on how to start their own business and a start-up grant of up to €15 000. The support measures also include hiring benefits, salary top-ups and quick reemployment allowances for workers.

The total estimated cost of these measures is about €21 million, of which the EGF will cover 85% (€17.7 million). Air France will finance the remaining 15%.

The draft report by rapporteur Fabienne Keller (RENEW, FR) recommending that Parliament approve the aid was passed by 29 votes, 1 against and no abstentions.

Approval by plenary is expected on 23 June in Brussels.

Background

Under the new 2021-2027 EGF regulation, the Fund will continue to support Europe‘s workers and self-employed people whose work has stopped. The new rules allow support to be given to a larger number of people affected by having their jobs or sector restructured: all types of unexpected major restructuring events are eligible for support, including the economic effects of the COVID-19 crisis, as well as larger economic trends like decarbonisation and automation. Member states can apply for EU funding when at least 200 workers lose their jobs within a specific reference period.


Source link

Acerca coronadmin

Comprobar también

Expect Czech EU presidency to downgrade V4 priorities

The new government of the Czech Republic is gearing up for its presidency of the …

Deja una respuesta

Tu dirección de correo electrónico no será publicada.